Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Day and Night houses

Occasionally I do a piece of art with day on one side and night on the other. I recently had a request for a house like this, and color was preferred to black and white.

I started five tiles to give both myself, and the person who wants one, some options. I used Winsor-Newton watercolor markers to do colored washes. Here they are, barely begun.

Frequently I identify the roof shapes first. That seems to place the building for me. After that, I focused on the skies and vegetation. Some moons and suns and clouds also appeared.

Here, the ink drawing is nearing completion.

And here they are, all done, shaded and fine-tuned. Of course, I like some better than others; that's always the way. The one at the top right has been claimed and will be on it's way once I mount it on canvas and paint the surround.

Final note: here are two, mounted, painted, and ready to hang:
'Like Night and Day' and 'Always Welcome'

8 comments:

  1. Magical wonderland - your style is just a wonder to behold, a whole city might emerge complete with cathedrals & church spires........... The mounting is terrifically effective with the way you extend the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evelyn. Years ago I did a very large piece with buildings from around the world, pagodas, domes, etc..

      Delete
  2. PS - thank you so much for generously sharing the process...... that in itself gives so much pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them!! Did you use watercolor markers for the entire project? Beautiful,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim. No, I used the markers only for the initial washes. They'd be too big for the fine lines of the pen-and-ink patterns.

      Delete
  4. thank you for showing these,Margaret. I love your work! I enjoy seeing and reading your thought process and the artistic choices you make. I learn a lot. This time I particularly liked seeing how you found the roof in each of your washes. I was also taken with how you extended and deepened the colors on "Always Welcome" out onto the canvas. marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and so creative. I just love working with inks. Thanks for sharing your wonderful work and it's process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pure delight Margaret, they are exquisite, thank you for the lesson.

    ReplyDelete